Most business fail due to lack of planning, commitment and consistency. The best way to ensure a successful business is to have a Marketing Plan…a structured document that outlines your small business goals, committed resources and marketing components. This plan can be quarterly, semi-annual or annual, based on your business needs. In any case, it will serve as your ongoing, living “check-list” to ensure you stay focused, on target and on budget.
Nowadays, most small businesses recognize the need and value of social networking…continual, consistent interactive communications with customers, prospects and affiliates of all kinds. Therefore, you’d be well-advised to create a separate, micro Social Media Plan, which will focus solely on your social networking initiatives, while still remaining part of your overall marketing strategy.
- Make a Commitment: you must be dedicated to communicating and posting regularly and consistently. You don’t need to post every day, but you should be monitoring every day so you can respond to questions and comments in a timely manner.
- Find Your Best Fit: Identify your target group and what social media they frequent most. Also, “Google” yourself and your company name to see where you’re listed and what’s being said.
- Schedule Engagement: As I noted above, determine the best days/times to communicate with your audience and do so consistently and regularly.
- Create Expert Content: Become a resource and expert for industry-relevant information. You don’t always need to be the actual “expert,” but always be the “channel” to the information.
- Create Contests and Promotions: Make things fun and interesting, as well as engaging for your audience (I’m a big advocate of “refer a friend” promotions to capture new business…who better to suggest a supplier then your best friend!).
- Broaden Your Horizons: Don’t be afraid to try new medias like YouTube videos, etc. No one expects you to be perfect (except yourself . This will also make your offerings intriguing and different.
- Delegate Don’t get overwhelmed…seek help when needed. Determine your specific level of involvement to focus on what you do best…then delegate the rest to others.
Read more about the 7 tips to creating a Social Media Plan.
Also, visit my blog on creating a do-it-yourself Small Business Marketing Plan.
Are you still somewhat in the dark, or not sure where to begin? No worries… at Exceller Marketing we’re experts in all forms of social media and business planning. Contact us today for a FREE consultation. We’ll meet with you one-on-one discuss your business needs and design a program that are just right for you. We can create your social media and business plans, then train you to manage, or we can do it all…the choice is totally yours.
Best regards, until next time!
Owner and Chief Consultant
Exceller Marketing, Inc.
Exceller Marketing specializes in affordable, high-impact marketing communications and business planning for small businesses in Westchester County, NY. Our goal is to empower small businesses with the same ingenuity as big corporations, but at a fraction of the price.